Startup and small business owners often face many challenges when they try to establish their business. When it comes to allocating limited funds, they have to make some tough decisions. However, certain things cannot be ignored. One such thing is IT support. It is estimated that hardware, software, and IT services each account for around 30% of total spending by small and medium-sized businesses, according to a 2018 article by Business Wire.
So, when your business is growing, you have a few options to handle your IT needs. You can have an in-house team. However, maintaining this team of experts comes with its own set of challenges. On the other hand, you can outsource these services as well. But, remember that if the outsourced company isn’t on the scene quickly when a problem comes up, your employees will find it difficult to maintain their productivity. That is why on-site support is a big factor to consider when choosing an IT services provider, according to a blog published by Monmouth Computer Associates, LLC.
Before you think about the pros and cons of in-house and outsourced services, you should know why you need to spend on IT support.
Why is IT Support Important for Your Business?
- To keep your tools, software, and operating system updated and relevant
- To protect your systems and networks against cyberattacks
- To create a backup plan and disaster recovery plans to ensure business continuity
- To maintain sufficient storage space, whether on-site or in the cloud
- To keep your end-user devices properly functional, compatible, and effectible
In-House vs. Outsourced IT Support
You can choose to have an in-house IT support team for your business needs. They can efficiently handle all the related issues and you can have complete control over their actions. However, forming and maintaining such a team at the initial stage of your business can be costly. You may have to incur overtime expenses if any issues appear after-hours. Additionally, relying on a very small in-house team may cause problems in terms of holiday cover, sickness, or resignation.
Why Opt for Outsourced IT Support
The estimated annual global spending on external IT services by businesses was close to 900 billion dollars, according to an article published by McKinsey & Company in 2017.
The reason behind this is the several benefits that outsourcing IT support offer:
- Lower associated costs
- Access to a team of experts with experience and current knowledge
- Boosting business efficiency and productivity
- Ensuring a standard service level and regular reporting
- Freeing up human resources for more important business operations
- Flexible options to suit most IT support requirements and budgets
Whether in-house or outsourced, your small business will require professional IT support for performing the daily operations. If you invest in IT support solutions, you can maximize your business efficiency, save money in the long run, protect your digital assets, and keep your employees and clients satisfied.