18 July 2022
The Healthcare Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996 holds healthcare organizations legally accountable for protecting the privacy of their patients. HIPAA sets very strict rules about what patient information can be shared or received by healthcare organizations, as well as setting rules for who can view that information. Maintaining HIPAA compliance is a very big deal for healthcare organizations for reasons beyond the legal complications and heavy fines, as any breach in data can affect the care and safety of patients.
As healthcare organizations continue to make the switch to digitized documentation, cybersecurity is quickly rising in importance. As of 2022 more than 125 breaches in patient and hospital records were reported to the federal government, affecting millions of people worldwide. Cyberattacks can divert ambulances, delay or shut down hospital operations, and affect patient safety. If doctors and nurses don’t have access to electronic records, they can’t give the proper care to patients which can result in harm or even death.
Many hospitals are vulnerable to these attacks because they lack proper round-the-clock IT support. Having full-coverage support from an IT company who is monitoring the network and systems 24/7 ensures protection from the endless cyberattacks.
So, how can IT support like our Platinum Plan help your healthcare practice stay HIPAA compliant and protect the information of your patients?
- On-Site and Remote Support: Our technicians will come out to your business or connect through a remote appointment if needed to address any questions or concerns you might have.
- 24/7/365 Monitoring and Emergency Phone Contact: Businesses on our Platinum Plan receive 24/7 remote monitoring of all their systems 365 days of the year, ensuring we are notified of any suspicious activity, allowing us to act accordingly. Our technicians are on call and ready to help at a moment’s notice for any emergency your business might have, no matter the time. Having immediate round-the-clock IT support and monitoring can help ensure your business remains protected from malicious attacks.
- Malware/Virus Protection: Along with round-the-clock monitoring, we also make sure your computers are up to date and running the latest virus/malware protection software.
- Audits: Many insurance companies require a security audit performed on your network. We understand what it takes to meet the standards and ensure that your network is always protected.
- HIPAA Compliance and Cybersecurity Training: Keeping your staff up-to-date on the procedures and do’s and don’ts of HIPAA compliance and safety will help keep your healthcare business running smoothly and protect the information of your patients and hospital/office operations. Training staff on the importance of cybersecurity will also help improve your business by informing people of how to spot a scam or what to do when they suspect they may have a virus or have been attacked by a hacker.
- Disaster Recovery Plan: Having a disaster recovery plan in place is especially a good idea for businesses in the healthcare field. In the event of an emergency or a shut down, having a plan in place of how and where to access records and important information can help minimize downtime and reduce any patient/staff risks.
Maintaining HIPAA compliance can be a long and tricky process, which is why Monmouth Computer Associates is here to help! Interested in how we can help your business stay protected from malicious cyberattacks and protect the information of your patients and staff? Give our team a call at 732-681-2360 to schedule an appointment or a Discovery Call with Dan.